It’s May already and you know what I usually do when it’s a new month… Yes, it’s time for a new list with things to do in May. The summer will be here within a few weeks and it’s time to make sure everything is ready for a new season.
- Do you like berries? If so, it’s time to plant some strawberries in your garden now. Give them enough space to grow properly. 30 cm is a good distance between every plant.
- Did you cut the roses last month? Otherwise it’s time to do it now. Cut them about 30 cm above the ground. Rosebushes doesn’t have to be cut that much, just give them a nice shape.
- Do you have a special place where you grow vegetables? It’s time to start growing them. Put seeds from carrots, beans and other vegetables in the ground now in order to use the vegetables for cooking later this summer.
- Make your own herb garden on your balcony. You can grow thyme, oregano, basilica and many other herbs in pots on the balcony.
- Remember to fertilize plants and flowers properly in order to get the most beautiful flowers within a few weeks.
- All bushes and trees are starting to get green leaves. That gives you a great opportunity to see if there’s any dead branches. If you see any, cut them off.
These are a few of the things you can do in May. Remember that he days can get quite warm in May, so don’t forget to open the doors and windows in your greenhouse if it gets too warm. Another thing to remember is to check for nesting birds before cutting any hedges. Have I forgotten anything important? Is there anything you always do in May to prepare for the summer season? Let me know .
Oh, would you like to start your growing your own herbs like I mentioned? Have a look at greenfingers.com where they have almost everything you might need. They have beautiful pots, greenhouses, tools and of course all types of seeds.